Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scare of a Lifetime

This week has been awful . Started out with Bradyn getting a fever Sunday night of 102. Monday he got up and was perfectly normal except for the fever. So I stayed home from work in the morning and called the doctor. They told me that Roseola and Fifth's disease were going around. So Bradyn ate great all day and drank (I thought enough) a lot. Bob came home and stayed home with him in the afternoon so I could work 1/2 a day. Same thing for him except his fever got to 102.5! Still acting normal. We went to bed and then Tuesday morning was a nightmare!

At 5:30am Bradyn called Mommy and I went to his room after grabbing the thermometer and he said downstairs and walked over to his bed and collapsed face down on his bed. I yelled his name and he didn't respond so I picked him up and tried to arouse him and he would open his eyes slightly and they were rolled back in his head and his limbs were limp. So I carried him to our room and told Bob to call 911. This brings tears to my eyes as I am typing. That boy is my baby and as I always tell him he will ALWAYS BE MOMMY's BABY! I of course was hysterical and Bob gave me the phone to talk to 911 (I would NEVER want to be a 911 dispatcher dealing with hysterical people like me) as he tried to keep Bradyn awake. The police FINALLY showed up (it really wasn't that long but of course at that moment it felt like eternity!) He really didn't do anything but stayed with us until the ambulance arrived. We have a great group of people that volunteer for that job in our small community. Bradyn and I went by ambulance and Bob followed behind. (We got to ride in a week old Ambulance- really not the way that I wanted to see the inside of it) We finally got to the hospital and Bradyn was given such great care in the ER.

When we arrived they got a blood sugar on him and it was only 34(Boy did we get IMMEDIATE attention then) A Doctor comes flying in with 3 nurse and they gave him 3 huge syringes full of dextrose and it really didn't do anything for him. So then they hooked him up to IV fluids and finally after some fluids he began to communicate with us. His temp was only 101. We spent about 4 1/2 hours in the ER and then they wanted to keep him overnight to recheck his blood sugar and run some labs on him. We finally got to our room and he slept A LOT yesterday afternoon. He ate dinner but vomited everything back up. We found out that he tested positive for MYCOPLASMA. Which explains everything. It is very contagious so we were put in isolation and then I called our Doctor to get Bob and I started on antibiotics also. What a long day!

Bradyn was a real trooper through the whole thing. They stuck his poor little finger 3 time for blood sugars and started an IV in the ER and he never even cried. He was pretty much out of it at that time. Finally yesterday afternoon he started to perk up a little and cried when the resident came in to check his throat. He had already been through the painful stuff- finger sticks, IV's and rectal temps! I just think that he had had enough! He slept through the night and I actually had to wake him this am at 7:30! I can't remember the last time that has happened! He ate great this am and was totally back to normal so we got to come home. He has 4 more days of antibiotics to go.

Being a nurse I think made the whole situation worse for me because of knowing too much. It was the scariest thing. I am grateful for everyone that kept Bradyn in their prayers. I thank GOD for taking care of him and healing him and blessing us with this amazing and wonderful boy!. GOD is amazing!

On a funny note and about the only thing that was funny through this whole situation is that while we were in the ER, after Bradyn became more alert and realized he had an IV he looked at me and said-"Mommy I want my thumb!" The bad mother that I am I was not thinking when the nurse put the IV in but she used his right arm which is the thumb that he sucks and he couldn't get to it!!

I will post an update later this week when things are back to normal!

2 comments:

PletcherFamily said...

Oh Tammy!! I am so sorry about your scare! I am so glad he is doing better and you guys are home. How scary. It is hard being the nurse and being the mommy.

But you handled it like a pro. You did a great job knowing exactly what you needed right away. Great job. I hope he continues to be well and you and Bob stay healthy as well. We are thinking about you on this end

UtahWarehouse said...

We are so glad you are home! We love you guys and miss you all! What great parents you are and how lucky Bradyn is to have you both! He is a special little guy and we are so thankful all of our prayers were answered and he is doing well! We wish we were closer to help with the emotional part of it all!